Sunday, April 15, 2012

Do You Speak Espangolette?

So today's post is focused on a small detail with big impact.  I have seen this beautiful, unique type of locking system and just adored it every time.  Maybe I've just been living under a rock and you all knew already, but I finally discovered what it was called!

It's called Espagnolette and I am in love.

These locks are the kinds of details that we design-enthused folks notice, don't you think?
I find it to be so graceful in an old world kind of way.

Here they are, used in the Canadian House & Home Princess Margaret showhome from last year:

via
And here is another example that I just saw in a store window yesterday:

Z Gallerie

We are working on a family room remodel design now, and I'm very tempted to use them. 
 
What to you think of it?

7 comments:

Acquired Objects said...

Hey I speak espagnolette and didn't even know it. I have locks on several pairs of doors on cabinets but didn't know what they were called. Is there anything wikipedia doesn't know? Love the locks!

XX
Debra~

Splendid Sass said...

Didn't know what they were called. Now I do! Love them, Barbara.
Teresa
xoxo

Splendid Sass said...

Didn't know what they were called. Now I do! Love them, Barbara.
Teresa
xoxo

michele said...

oooooooh, i love learning new things. what a gorgeous piece!

michele

Anonymous said...

It is gorgeous.Love the dark wood.Looks so classic.

hygge said...

Hi Barbara,

I love that image too and the hardware. In fact I love that whole showhouse. That magazine is one of my favorites and I saved that issue from last year. I have though about adding glass doors to my built-ins and using these bolts. Those bolts are often called cremone bolts and you can find them through Baldwin, Van Dyke Restorers, and others. Have fun!
Amy

Sharon Lee Johnson said...

I have seen them often on cupboards at my favourite interior store and always admired them but never even thought they had a name. Who knew? I hope you got your stools. My dining chairs are that same design and I love them! Looking forward to seeing some of your new home when you are ready. x Sharon

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...