Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Barn Decor: Is It For You?

One of my closest friends here in Munich has moved back to her native England and is in the process of buying a beautiful converted barn in a quaint village outside of London.  

This style of house is such a unique blend of rustic and modern that it has piqued my curiosity about the design potential. I grew up around barns, so this is kind of a revival for me.  It's gotten me thinking of barns in a whole new way - they have soaring ceilings, wooden beams and rustic accents - things that many of us strive to re-create in a new home and yet in this case they are the real thing.

Let's take a look at the way the oh-so-humble barn has inspired current design:

via Cozy Bliss Blog
The detailing on these doors is amazing! 
Whoever stumbled upon these at a rusty estate sale somewhere must have been thrilled! 

narratives.co.uk
High ceilings give the renovated spaces some modern edge, and provide lots of possibilities for shelving or lofty hideaways...

Ina Garten's Home
It's a stretch to call this a barn but it has a similar feel and this space is an all-time favorite of mine because of its casual elegance.

via Cote de Texas Blog
A stylish way to hide the pantry and the shelves are a great way to use the wall space that needs to remain flush for the door. 

Perfect for a climate like Arizona that can accomodate indoor/outdoor living on a regular basis.

Attic Magazine



 That's a lot of wood.  It might work in some rustic settings though...


Dallas Doors


lovetoescape.co.uk


Halle Berry's Barn in Canada, via Home Bunch

ffffound_com
 An industrial version...

Northwest Hospitality


Architectural Digest


Design Sponge

My Home Ideas
 A clever office!

Living Etc.

Emmas Design Blog



Elle Decor


Atlanta Homes Magazine


Decorpad



HGTV

Birch and Bird

I have to close by telling you that my uncle converted a barn in Westchester County, Pennsylvania over thirty years ago, and it is really stunning.  The main house has soaring ceilings and beautiful verandas with views over the rolling hills.  The guest house was once the carriage house, so it oozes charm and character all over the place. 
I guess he was a man way ahead of his time!

What do you think of barn inspired design? 
If you like it, where would you use it?

15 comments:

Thhoughts on Design said...

I love barns. Grew up around them. I'd put my barn on the rugged coast of Maine overlooking the ocean. On a foggy, I could sit there and take in the mystery, listening to the fog horns. On a clear day, I could imagine seeing the coast of Portugal.

Cheers,
John

The enchanted home said...

Hey Barbara....didn't appreciate them when I was young but so do now. There is so much charm and character in a barn and sometimes I fantasize about buying one, restoring it out in the country when I am old and gray. Never have they been so popular or chic as they are now. Love your images above.

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Good morning, Barbara!

How are you doing today?

I love barns! Not only the for people, but for animals too. :-) I have no idea why, but I think they're so charming! I know... charming, I said! LOL I think it's because I like all the wood, especially savage wood.

These barn-inspired spaces are so perfect! Very inspirational and thank you for mentioning Home Bunch! :-)

Have a great day!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Anonymous said...

I love a bit of rustic. Ina Garten's home is one of my favorite... once again I find myself wishing I was related to her so I could go one her fabulous parties. xo

Anonymous said...

love the barn doors... and love old barns that are converted into homes...
I live not too far from an old barn that's now a home.. I really want to knock on the door and ask for a tour..!!
hope your friend sends pics of her newly converted barn/home..
best,
maureen

Taylor Greenwalt said...

I love barn doors. Wish I could use them in my own home. They add a warm and charming element. OMG, they are just darn cool!

Olivia Vianna said...

Hello Barbara,


I saw your e-mail and I liked very much. I hope you come back to inandoutdecor.blogspot.com.


xxx
Olivia

Stacy CUrran said...

Although it's not really for me, I can appreciate how very well done these are, and think it would be really fun to do one myself!
Stacy

Victoria said...

I love barn doors in special situations; a country home, a city loft, a ski lodge, a home in the wine country; and, of course, in a barn. Other than that, I am a fancy girl and they would not fit my aesthetic.
Best...Victoria

The Vintique Object said...

Yes, indeed, I do! Rustic anything is great. Especially if it is mixed with something modern or refined. This is quite the gathering of barn-related photos, many of which I've never laid eyes on. Wow!
Camille

The Vintique Object said...

Forgot to tell you that Ina Garten's kitchen house is probably one of my all time favorites too!
Camille

mary said...

I first visited a converted barn when I was 16--and fell in love at first sight. Converted barns and carriage house have been around for a long time--I would furnish mine with American and French 18th/19th c. country antiques, abstract art and pops of mid-century pieces together with heavy pale linen and touches of color. Thanks for this great post. Mary

Sharon Lee Johnson said...

I love those sliding barn doors and so wish that I had incorporated them into my house somehow! Oh well, maybe next time around. x Sharon

Greet Lefèvre said...

Great post!!! Very inspirational!!
xx
Greet

jtman9200 said...

Barn doors have been on the rise for quite some time now. I remember seeing barn styled garage doors around 6 years ago. I have always liked them and now that other doors are sliding instead of swinging I am starting to like those too. http://www.howardsoverheaddoors.com/Residential.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...